How to Find and Hire Drupal Developers: The Ultimate Guide
Tue, 02/22/2022 – 17:35
If you’re looking to hire the best Drupal developer for your project, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we will discuss some tips on how to find and hire expert Drupal developers for your needs. We’ll also provide a few resources that can help you get started. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
All you need to know before you hire Drupal developers
What to look for before you hire a Drupal developer?
1. Experience with Drupal websites
Drupal development is not just about coding. It’s also about having a deep understanding of the Drupal platform and its ecosystem. That’s why you should always look for Drupal programmers with a lot of experience working with Drupal websites.
2. Communication skills
To be successful, your dedicated Drupal developers will need to be able to communicate clearly with you and your team. This is especially true if they are working remotely. It’s important to find someone who can express their ideas in an easily understandable way, but also be able to listen carefully when others speak as well. Read about the importance of communication between developers and designers to know more.
3. Attention to detail
Drupal development requires a lot of attention to detail because there are so many things that go into building a Drupal website. If your Drupal programmer isn’t paying attention to those details, they won’t have the best experience working with you and your team.
4. Problem-solving skills
Your Drupal developers should also be able to solve problems quickly and effectively so that everything runs smoothly throughout the project’s life cycle. Be sure to ask them about any problems they have encountered in past custom Drupal solutions and how they dealt with those issues.
5. Able to work as a team player
One of the biggest mistakes that businesses make when they plan to hire Drupal developers is only looking for people who can do what’s asked of them. But it’s also important to hire someone who will be able to work well with the rest of your team. This means that they need to be able to take feedback and criticism, as well as give it.
If you’re looking for a Drupal developer, we recommend checking out these resources:
The Acquia Developer Center – This is a great place to start if you want to learn more about Drupal.
Signs you’ve got the wrong Drupal programmer for your project
1. Doesn’t know how to use Git or doesn’t want to
Git is a version control system that makes it easy for teams of Drupal developers to work on the same project without getting in each other’s way. If your Drupal developer isn’t familiar with Git, they’ll probably end up causing problems down the road when multiple people are working on one site at once (which happens often).
2. Doesn’t communicate well with team members and clients alike
If they’re not communicating effectively, then there will be problems later on during development because nobody knows what’s going wrong until it’s too late. And if someone else finds out about them before you do- well that could mean disaster! This means making sure everyone has a clear understanding of the project, its goals, and what is expected from everyone involved.
3. Lacks attention to detail
If your Drupal developer can’t be bothered with details then you’ll likely run into a lot of problems down the line. Details may seem minor, but they can add up very quickly and cause big delays in the development process.
4. Requests for changes or new features after work has started
This is usually a sign that either your developer doesn’t understand your project requirements or they’re trying to take advantage of you. In either case, it’s not a good situation and will only lead to frustration on all sides. If this happens, be sure to document everything very carefully so there are no misunderstandings.
5. Works well on their own, but doesn’t integrate well with the team
This can be a huge issue down the road because it means that they’re not interested in collaborating with others which is essential for any successful Drupal project. If this is the case, you may want to reconsider your Drupal developer.
6. Is always late delivering work or missing deadlines
If your dedicated Drupal developers can’t seem to get their act together and meet deadlines, then it’s going to be a very long and frustrating project for everyone involved. This is definitely something you don’t want happening when working on a Drupal website.
7. Cannot solve problems effectively
If your Drupal developers are not able to fix things quickly when they go wrong, then the project will be delayed and everyone will be stressed out. This is definitely not ideal.
If you’re looking for a Drupal developer, we recommend checking out these resources:
Drupal Jobs – A website that’s dedicated solely to listing jobs in the Drupal industry. You can filter your search by location, skills, type of position, and more.
Comparison between freelance Drupal Developer vs Drupal agency
While hiring a Drupal developer or team of the best Drupal developers for your next Drupal project, it can be difficult to decide which option is best for you. In this section, we’ll compare and contrast the benefits of hiring a freelance Drupal developer versus an agency.
First, let’s take a look at some advantages of working with a freelance developer:
They’re usually cheaper than an agency, which means lower hourly rates. Plus, there are no overhead costs like office space rental payments, etc., so they can work from almost anywhere with access to the internet. Freelancers also don’t have employees that need salaries and benefits either – which means less money spent on each month for payroll expenses that help in keeping prices less as well.
While working on a project together as opposed to individually, developers can collaborate more easily because communication channels are already established between them. This saves time and ensures everyone is aligned about what needs to be done next for progress towards completion goals such as deadlines or milestones set by clients. Read about how to find the right Drupal 9 development partner to know more.
When should you hire an expert Drupal developer, and how much does it cost?
That depends on a lot of factors, such as the size and complexity of your project, your budget, and your level of Drupal expertise. Generally speaking, though, it’s a good idea to start looking for someone early on in the development process – ideally when you first begin planning out your website.
Hiring an individual developer usually costs more than hiring an agency, but the advantage is that you have more control over the project and can work closely with them to ensure everything goes according to plan. Agencies are great for larger projects or if you don’t have much experience working with Drupal, and they often have pre-made teams of developers who are familiar with specific aspects of Drupal development (like module building or theme design). So how much does Drupal development cost in the end? That depends on all of the factors mentioned above, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $50/hour to $200/hour for high-level expertise. No matter who you choose to work with, be sure to get a detailed estimate upfront so there are no surprises later on.
How to assess their skills and experience to identify the best Drupal developers?
While assessing a Drupal developer’s skills, it’s important to look at their experience with the following:
1. Drupal Theming – This is how you change the appearance of your Drupal site by modifying its templates. A good themer will be able to create a design that matches your vision and also meets all of the requirements for accessibility and responsive design.
2. Coding Standards – For modules and themes to be compatible with each other (and future updates to Drupal core), they need to be coded using the same standards. A developer who is familiar with best practices in coding will ensure that your website is as stable and secure as possible.
3. Drupal Module Development – Modules are small pieces of code that can be added to a Drupal.
The importance of communication in the development process
We have written this article because we believe that communication is a key aspect of the development process. Communication makes it possible for us to understand each other, and when there are misunderstandings on either side they can be resolved quickly without delays and frustrations.
Communication between remote Drupal developers is important. Drupal has many features that allow you to communicate with other members of your team – whether they’re located at an office or working remotely from home. You could use email, phone calls, or instant messaging services like Slack (which offers free plans). These platforms make it easy for everyone involved with a project including designers/developers, content writers/editors, clients, and project managers to stay in touch with each other.
Tips for setting expectations and managing the Drupal development budget
1. Be realistic about what you want your website to do. If you’re on a tight budget, consider focusing on the most important features and excluding the less essential ones.
2. Make a list of all the tasks that need to be completed and assign a priority level to each one. This will help you better understand how much work needs to be done and how much time it will take.
3. Create a timeline for your project and share it with everyone involved. This helps ensure that everyone is working towards the same goals and prevents any confusion or delays.
4. Get a detailed estimate from your chosen developer(s) or agency before starting the project. This will help avoid any unpleasant surprises down the road.
Assess the experience in Drupal module development
1. What is their experience in Drupal theming?
2. Do they understand and follow the coding standards for Drupal?
3. Can they demonstrate a good understanding of the Drupal core functionality?
4. How do they communicate with other team members, especially clients?
5. Are they able to work within a budget and meet deadlines?
These are some of the questions you should be asking when assessing a developer’s skills. By considering these factors, you’ll be better equipped to find the right person or team for your project.
How to hire top Drupal developers?
Define your Drupal project requirements and goals
Before starting to look for Drupal developers, you need to have a good idea of what you want your website to do. The best way to start is by creating a requirement document. This document will outline the features and functionality that your website needs. It’s important to be as specific as possible when creating your requirement document. This will help ensure that you find a development partner who can deliver the website that you need.
1. What kind of content will your website have? Examples include blog posts, podcasts, videos, and contact information. You’ll also want to decide what type of navigation structure your website should use. This includes main navigation categories and sub-categories for each category.
2. What features and functionality do you need? Will your website require a shopping cart, registration form, or blog comments? Be sure to list all of the features that are important to you.
3. Who will be responsible for creating the content? If you’re not able to create the content yourself, you’ll need to find someone who can. You’ll need to determine who will be responsible for uploading the content, as well as creating new pages and posts regularly.
4. How often do you plan on updating your website? While it’s not necessary to update your website every day, you should have an idea of how often you want to make changes or add new content. This will help you determine whether or not a developer can meet your needs in terms of updating the website regularly and making changes to existing pages as needed.
5. What is your budget? Before beginning any kind of development process, you should have an idea of how much money you’re willing to spend on developing your website. This will help you narrow down your search for a development partner.
6. Creating a requirement document is an important step in the process of hiring Drupal developers. By taking the time to create this document, you’ll be able to ensure that you find Drupal web developers who can deliver the website that you need.
Do your research – Compile a list of qualified Drupal developers
Once you have a clear idea of what you want your website to do, it’s time to start looking for qualified Drupal developers. The best way to find qualified developers is by doing your research. This includes researching different development agencies and compiling a list of qualified Drupal developers.
While researching development agencies, be sure to look for companies that have a lot of experience in Drupal development. You’ll also want to make sure that they’re familiar with the latest version of Drupal (currently Drupal v. eight). Ask the agency how many years they’ve been working with Drupal and if they’re up-to-date on the latest changes and updates.
While compiling a list of qualified Drupal developers, be sure to ask for referrals from friends and family members. You can also ask the development agencies that you contact if they have any recommendations for qualified developers in your area.
Once you’ve compiled a list of potential Drupal developers, it’s time to begin contacting them and asking questions.
Narrow down your options and schedule interviews
Once you’ve found a few qualified Drupal developers, it’s time for the next step i.e., interviewing them. Here are some questions you can ask during the interview process:
1. How long have you been working with Drupal?
2. What is your favorite thing about Drupal?
3. What are some of the most challenging aspects of developing with Drupal?
4. Can you share a project that you worked on that you’re particularly proud of?
Make a decision and sign a contract for Drupal web development
Once you’ve interviewed a few prospective Drupal developers, it’s time to make a decision. Choose the developer that best fits your needs and sign a contract with them for Drupal web development services.
If you’re looking for a Drupal developer, we hope this guide has been helpful. But if you still have questions or need more assistance finding the perfect fit for your project, don’t hesitate to contact us by email. We would be happy to help you find the best Drupal developer for your needs and budget. Thanks for reading!